Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Asian Tour golfer gives half of winnings to Typhoon Haiyan victims

Liang Wen-Chong won more than just a tournament last week.
Liang Wen-Chong of China won the Manila Masters on Sunday and donated half of his $135,000 to relief efforts for Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.
Lians won the tournament in a playoff and spoke afterwards about why he did what he did.
"I was really affected by what I saw of the damage and victims suffering from the aftermath of the typhoon ... I decided to donate 50 percent of my winnings to do my part and support the relief efforts," said Liang.
He went on to talk about how the storm got inside him and made him want to do something.
Before coming over to the Philippines, I was really affected by what I saw of the damage and victims suffering from the aftermath of the typhoon on television," Liang said on AsianTour.com.
There was talk about whether the tournament would be canceled -- it was the first of its kind on the Asian Tour -- but the golfers played on and Liang found a way to honor some folks even amidst the tragedy.
A classy move by China's best golfer and one I'm sure we'll see quite a bit in the coming weeks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More